Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day!

Rambutan picking somewhere in Laguna/ Rizal, I forget
When I was younger, my dad and I had a really bad case of love-hate relationship.  When I was below 10 years old, he was the cool parent letting me do whatever I wanted.  I just had to make sure my grades were fine (Chinese fine means with honors) and I could basically do what I wished.  It was my mom who was crazy (Crazy in a little girl's standards).  I couldn't do anything because anything other than piano and ballet caused breast cancer.  Basketball and volleyball caused breast cancer.  I understand I guess, with the flying balls and all.  She declared soccer also caused cancer.  I could not comprehend why balls on the floor can cause that as well.

I digress, going back to my dad.

When puberty hit, my dad kinda went crazy (Crazy in an adolescent girl's standards).  I was not allowed to do anything except do well in school.  Boys are not friends, they are the enemy.  When we had our first official soiree in high school, I had to BEG my dad to allow me.  Since I was adjusting and I didn't have honors yet, he made me promise to get good grades for me to be allowed.  I promised (because it was the only way to get allowed).  I didn't get the good grades (Chinese good grades not equivalent to normal people's good grades) he wanted but at least I got to go.  Mental note that I need output from Mia before she gets rewarded.

Now that I'm older, I've realized he and my mom are not crazy after all, although there are still things that my dad has done/still doing that I don't understand.  I guess I will never comprehend but I know he always wants the best for me, whose dad doesn't want the best for his little girl anyway?

Happy Father's Day to you and to all the dads out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment